iAR was established in Lausanne in 2009 with a 10 MCHF donation paid over five years to the founders, 4 top Swiss laboratories in the field of arthritis research and immunology. iAR was founded and led by the late Prof. Jurg Tschopp and is currently directed by Prof. Cem Gabay (Division of Rheumatology University of Geneva).
The achievements of iAR include:
- The development of a research network in Switzerland with collaborative research projects and publications in leading journals (Nature, Blood, Immunity, Arthritis & Rheumatism).
- The development of international collaborations.
- The establishment of a common facility for the deposition of reagents at Department of Biochemistry, University of Lausanne.
- Establishment of a professorship in Arthritis Research at University of Geneva.
- Strengthened education in arthritis research through support to the Annual Joint Congress of the International Cytokine Society and the International Society for Interferon and Cytokine research in Geneva September 2012.
- Yearly 2-day conferences are held at University of Lausanne, where young scientists can exchange and discuss results.